There are often optimizations that can be made to a Sphinx / Manticore setup by changing some simple directives in the configuration or making quick changes to an index definition.
Some common mistakes and issues can include:
- doing main+delta without kill-lists, even if the delta does include updated records found in the main
- using wildcarding with very short prefix/infix which can hammer performance in some cases
- disabled (unintentional) seamless rotates and getting stalls on index rotations
- adding texts as string attributes even if they are not using for any kind of operation (filtering, grouping, sorting) or mandatory to be present in results
- using deprecated settings
Having a quick look on the configuration can show issues or potential issues, this is why we want to offer a gift to our growing community!
When uploading your configuration file, we recommend to remove any database credentials first.
We suggest also you give as many possible details about your setup: how big is the data you have, how typical queries look and what issues you experience.